Shortly after starting this blog I posted the recipe for Latin chicken. It’s a great meal and one of my favorites. Because this recipe was posted when the blog was new and had only a small handful of followers (2? 3?), I thought I’d post it again.
So, here is the recipe again, with a few additional photos. Please try this recipe! Seriously, it is sooooo good!
*Note: I always, always, always make this with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but I goofed and purchased boneless, skinless chicken breasts last week. I prefer this recipe with the thighs, though it was still very good made with white meat.
Latin Chicken (with black beans and sweet potatoes)
1. In crock pot (slow cooker), combine:
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3-4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2. In a plastic zipper bag combine the following:
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Add a small amount of olive oil to a large skillet and heat over med-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides; about 5 minutes. Place chicken in crock pot on top of beans and sweet potatoes.
3. Lower the heat, and in the same pan whisk together:
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 heaping teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
Pour this mixture over the black beans, sweet potatoes, and chicken in the crock pot.
Cook on high for about 5 hours.
When serving, squirt fresh lime over each serving and sprinkle on chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.