I grew up thinking black beans were yukky. My mom hardly ever made them, possibly because out of our family of eight, only two or three would eat beans. She didn’t bother wasting her time cooking something that only a few would eat. It wasn’t until I made this crock pot meal that I realized black beans could be yummy.
My husband loves all foods, and strives to eat beans of all sorts. That’s hard for me since I didn’t enjoy eating beans, but for him I attempt new recipes that feature beans. When I first saw this recipe, posted on a message board by a friend, I knew my husband would like it, so I gave it a try. While tasting it to make sure the spices were right, I realized I liked it. A lot. And it had black beans! Wowza…. black beans could be tasty… who knew! (Okay, many people knew … and now I do as well!)
The recipe originated from Good Housekeeping, I believe, but has been changed a bit not just by the friend who first posted it, but in my trials with it. This is the version I make. Awesome for a cold winter day.
Latin Chicken (with black beans and sweet potatoes)
1. In crock pot (slow cooker), combine:
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3-4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
2. In a plastic zipper bag combine the following:
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Add a small amount of olive oil to a large skillet and heat over med-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides; about 5 minutes. Place chicken in crock pot, on top of the beans and sweet potatoes.
3. Lower the heat, and in the same pan whisk together:
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 heaping teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
Pour this mixture over the chicken, sweet potatoes, and black beans in the crock pot.
Cook on high for about 5 hours.
When serving, squirt fresh lime over each serving and sprinkle in chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.